Internal Short Circuit
KULR has exclusively licensed ISC device technology (from NREL) and applied it to Li ion cell customization and fabrication. KULR can offer ISC cells for all commercial categories: 18650, 21700 & pouch cells. With KULR ISC cells, an internal short circuit can be intentionally triggered on demand. The failure modes and safety issues after ISC occurrence can be identified and studied with the aid of ISC cells. ISC cells are a valuable engineering tool for research institutes, battery manufacturers, and OEMs looking to improve the performance and safety of Li-Ion batteries.
- Controllable internal short circuit failure is initiated by heating the trigger cell
- The trigger temperature is readily achieved (40-60°C)
- Location of ISC device inside cell can be customized
- The cell performance is not impacted by ISC pad implantation
- The cell structural integrity is preserved prior to triggering
- Thermal runaway propagation events can be induced by ISC